Saturday, October 5, 2013

Ready, Set, Cocoon

The girls are officially Cocooning! Cocooning is a strategy for protecting infants from infectious diseases, by vaccinating those in close contact with them. The girl’s doctors have recommended that all relatives and caregivers get vaccinated before coming into contact with them. We have made this rule because it is the safest thing for the girls and also because their pulmonologist said so. Starting this month, the only people allowed to be around the girls are people who have had the a flu shot and people that are not currently sick. This isn’t personal folks! We are just following their doctor’s orders. If someone does has to come into contact with them that doesn’t have the flu shot then they must wear a mask. For example, I recently learned that one of the girl’s therapists doesn’t get the flu shot, so she knows that she has to wear a mask as recommended by the CDC when she works with them during their therapy session. They will be cocooning for several months, most likely until March. The girls have already had their flu shot and they will also be getting the RSV vaccine each month for the entire length of RSV season. The RSV vaccine is really expensive and health care insurances do not like to pay for it, but I went out of my way to get the referrals they needed so they can get it. Flu season is very dangerous for my girls. So dangerous that if they got the flu that would be in the hospital and they would most likely be in the ICU. As part of the girls cocooning they will also not be going anywhere. The safest place for the girls is in our home. Again this isn’t personal. This is for Abigail and Elizabeth’s wellbeing. You can say I am crazy or overreacting…but really I am just following what the doctors is telling me to do. I appreciate your support during this time. This isn’t fun for us and actually it is a lot more work for me, but like I have said before I will do ANYTHING the girls need!

No comments:

Post a Comment