Wednesday, October 30, 2013

First Week in the NICU

This time last year my girls were having their first week in the NICU. The first week was very hard for me. I cried every time I entered into the NICU and looked at Abigail and Elizabeth. I felt helpless and lost. I was recovering from my C-section and hormonal and my children were fighting for their lives.  It was an all time low. 

The first week was very hard. My girls had test after test. They got blood transfusions and X-rays of every part of their bodies. I signed papers that were handed to me by doctors and I didn't really understand what they were even for. I cried every day and I didn't get much sleep. 

The NICU nurses were amazing despite everything I was going through.  They would offer me a chair and tissues if I needed them. They encouraged me from the beginning to touch and talk to my girls. They taught me how to handle them and they helped me learn what all the monitors and alarms meant. I can still hear the monitor beeps in my head. They motivated me to keep pumping and answered any questions I had. 

As the days went on and even as the weeks went on it did get better. To any NICU moms out there my recommendation to you is to ask lots of questions and spend as much time with your  baby as you can. Place your hand on your baby and talk to them. Cry if you need to. It is okay. The NICU nurses are a great resource to you. Don't be afraid to talk to them.  It helped me out tremendously.  



No comments:

Post a Comment