Friday, August 9, 2013

Try to Get Some Rest

Ever since the girls were born I have heard this over and over again. "You really should try to get some rest." Really?! When is all this rest suppose to happen exactly? The idea is good in theory but let's be honesty,  it's not going to happen. When the girls were in the NICU I never got great sleep because I lived in the Ronald McDonald House. Nothing against the RMH. You are wonderful and if I ever hit it big in the lottery you will be getting a fat donation from me but it just wasn't my bed at home. Secondly, when your child is sick there is no way you get great sleep. In the back of my mind I always knew that a doctor or nurse could call with an update at any time. Lastly, I got up to pump in the middle of the night to help keep up my breast milk supply.  So that too disturbed my beauty rest.
Now that the girls are home it is a totally different ball game.  I once again don't get great sleep for all of the obvious reasons. And not to mention my Elizabeth is an early riser.  So yeah... Sleep is not happening.

Then someone might even tell you not to worry about sleeping because sleep is overrated and that also is annoying. Sleep isn't overrated, its amazing! I would love to sleep the day away but it just isn't happening.

My advice to NICU moms is to just drink lots of coffee. That really seems to be the ticket. Oh and wear makeup under your eyes that helps too. And if someone tells you to try and get some rest, just try to give them smile and in the back of your mind just say "yeah right."

1 comment:

  1. Here’s a message for all NICU dads. Even if mom can’t sleep, she still needs time to step away, to clear her head, and to breathe. Make this time for her and understand that she’s coping one day at a time.
    -DT

    ReplyDelete