Monday, August 12, 2013

Are they getting bigger?

"Are they getting bigger?" The dreaded four words you will hear over and over again from friends and family. Every time someone asked me this I seriously wanted to yell "um Noooo! Did you forget they weighed 1 and 2 pounds at birth?!"  When you are a parent in the NICU or if you are home with your preemie baby doing anything you can to try to get them to eat, the last thing you honestly want to hear is "Are they getting bigger?"  It is like nails on a chalkboard. I do understand that the people saying this are just trying to be nice,  but it doesn't make the comment any easier to digest.   


To help the situaion out I have come up with things that are appropriate to say to a NICU/Preemie parent.

-Let me know if there is anything I can  do for you.
-Hang in there.
-Call me if you need to talk.
-Can I take you to lunch?
- You are a wonderful mom. 

These are nice and appropriate comments to say and they won't drive a mom crazy. I hope this helps. And to any preemie or NICU mom out there...Hang in there and let me know if I can take you to lunch. :) 


A cute pic of the girls playing with each other. Notice Abby chewing on Elizabeth's foot. 

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful mom...and friend. I'm proud of you and miss you terribly. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete