Saturday, August 10, 2013

Elizabeth's Bowling Glove

Elizabeth has a hand brace that she wears during the day.  One day when my good friends Megan and Sam were over visiting from NJ, my husband Dan was joking with them and called it a bowling glove and the name stuck. Shortly after she was born she had a very bad brain and the doctors told us it would take some time to determine how the bleed would impact her. We now know the  impact. Due to the bleed she has developed a weak left side and has been diagnosed with CP. She is wearing the brace to help open her hand and so far the brace seems to help. Elizabeth receives Infants and Toddlers therapy twice a week and then I take her to out patient occupational therapy three times a week. It is going to be a long road and lots of therapy for Liz. My heart breaks when I see her try to reach for a toy with her left hand and she isn't able to grab anything with her fingers, but I am optimistic that she will make progress. No one wants to hear their child has a disability but from day one when I got the news they both had bad bleeds, I promised myself that I was going to have a good life and do whatever I had to do for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment