Wednesday, September 4, 2013

We Got Teeth!

I am happy to announce that both girls have two bottom teeth. This makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because they look so darn cute, but sad because they are getting big way too fast!  It’s funny… I can't believe I am actually complaining about my micro-preemies getting too big. I never thought I would say that.  

One of their therapists recommended that we begin introducing the toothbrush and rub their teeth with it. The goal is to introduce them to some additional oral sensations. I have used their little toothbrush on them several times so far. Elizabeth didn't mind it and Abigail just looked confused and made a disgusted face.

The therapist told me that it is possible they could have an oral aversion due to their prematurity. This isn't anything new to us. When Abigail first started feeding on her own she didn't really like having the bottle in her mouth and she didn't show an interest in nursing either. She does a lot better now, but she still has her moments. When she eats baby food her first reaction is to make an awful face like she ate something sour.  Once the food is in her mouth for a few sections she recovers and is fine. It is just another reminder that my girls still have little things they have to overcome, but we’ll continue to take it one day at a time. I will continue to brush their perfect little teeth as I was instructed to do. I look forward to seeing them with more teeth and don't worry I will post more pictures. :) 


To my NICU/preemie moms out there who have a little one that doesn't like to eat or nurse, it does get better. My Abigail is proof of that. Stick with therapy. I know it can be a long process, but it really helps.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment