Sunday, March 23, 2014

I Don't Have An Excuse

I recently came across this picture again and it got me thinking. I normally just post about preemie stuff, but this is a special post for all my mother friends out there! :)



This message makes me mad for several reasons.

1. You had your make up and hair done, so you don't always look that 
bright-eyed and bushy-tailed yourself. 

2. Don't assume I am making excuses. I have a life and it's a really good life. I don't think it could get any better, even if I had those abs. 

3. She is a little misleading in her message. She works at a nonprofit that encourages people to be in shape, so it's basically her job to look like that. I applaud her efforts and work, but if I had her job I would be in better shape too. 

4. Do not assume I don't like the way I look just because I don't look like you. I like me. I like my curves. You don't get to be the judge of me and how I look. I only get to do that. 

5. You sound like a bully. You are not encouraging at all and you sound arrogant and rude. Women should be supportive of one another. We shouldn't make each other feel bad about the way we look. It can be hard sometimes to find the time to go to the gym. If you are anything like me, it's hard to say no to a cookie or a donut when you really want one. She makes it sound easy and it's not.



Can you tell I really don't like the picture or the message? We are all just trying to do our best.  Don't shame me into working out lady. It's not helpful and makes me dislike you! 

I am a school teacher, so I spend a lot of my evenings when I am not with my own children thinking about lesson plans and ways to help kids learn to read. It seems that she spends her extra time working out.  It's a personal choice how we dedicate our time, but I think my time is better served. I am helping shape future lives. You are just shaping your butt.  

The girls are getting older so I have just started working out again. I go to Zumba and yoga during the week. If I don't make it to a class one day it's no big deal. I do what I can and I see a lot of my mom friends out there who do the same too. I think the important message is to try to be healthy and make good choices. Our lives can be perfectly fulfilling without abs and no body fat. 

1 comment: