Monday, March 3, 2014

Do You Ever Think Why Me?

Over the weekend we had dinner with Dan's family for his birthday. My mom watched the girls so we could go. While we were there Dan's grandmother surprised me with very heartfelt question.  

She asked If I ever looked at other children and asked myself why my children had to have special needs and other children are just running around? 

The question really surprised me. She was very genuine and her thoughtfulness    touched me. I never knew she felt that way or wanted to know how I felt. I was happy she asked. 

The truth is yes, there was a moment in time that lasted for about 1 minute that I thought why did this happen to me? Why did I have to have a child with CP and another child with eating issues and lung disease? After that one minute of feeling sorry for myself, I realized how absolutely ridiculous I was being. Nothing good comes from feeling sorry yourself and I have nothing to feel sorry for.

Abigail and Elizabeth are amazing. They amaze me how strong and determined they are. They amaze me how smart they are. They amaze me with what they can do with their disabilities. There is nothing to be sad about. I feel lucky and fortunate. 

I have to take the girls to Kennedy Krieger and Hopkins for their appointments. I sadly see lots of kids that are much more sick than my girls and have way more challenges. I don't feel sorry or sad because I know how it could have turned out to have twins at 26 weeks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment