Wednesday, June 24, 2015

NICU Journey

The NICU journey is a long and horrible one. I can remember getting up each morning and having no idea how the day would go. Sometimes it would be a slow and uneventful day and then sometimes I felt like I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. 

When your baby is in the hospital you can make no long term plans because you live for the day. The old saying goes "one step forward and two steps back," but really at times it felt more like one step forward and a bunch of steps back. There would be a couple of good days and then one of my girls (or both) would get really sick or need a new test and have a set back. As they get bigger it does get easier and better.

 I can remember a nurse practitioner telling me that it really gets better once they reach 3 pounds. There  is a lot of truth to the statement, but the reality is Abigail and Elizabeth are micro preemies and we still have obstacles to face. I just keep the faith and enjoy the day. I still can't really make long term plans, but that's okay with me. 

If you are NICU/preemie mom I recommend to try not to worry about the future because it will drive you crazy. And when you think about one step forward and two steps back, just remember there will be a step forward! That's what I have to keep telling myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment