Sunday, May 3, 2015

Ehlers-Danlos Awareness Month!


As I have posted before my family has a history of a connective tissue disease called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (EDS). I have it, my mom has it, my brother... you get the idea. My daughter Abigail was diagnosed a few months ago too. 

EDS affects connective tissue, skin, joints, and blood vessel walls. People with EDS also have a defect with the collagen they produce. 

There are 6 types and my family has the Classical type.

The types are:
Classical
Hypermobility
Vascular
Kyphoscoliosis 
Arthrochalasia
Dermatosparaxis
Tenascin-X Deficient 

To determine if someone has EDS the doctor has to do a detailed physical examination. 

Doctors will look for the following characteristics:
-soft skin
-easy bruising
-smooth skin
-joint hypermobility
-skin hyperextensibility 
-joint instability 


You can find out more information from:
http://www.ehlersdanlosnetwork.org




No comments:

Post a Comment