Monday, September 29, 2014

Orthopedic and Physical Medicine Doctors

Last week we took another hike up to Baltimore for doctors appointment with their orthopedic and physical medicine doctor at Kennedy Krieger Institute. 

I really like both of the doctors and I find them very professional, smart, caring, and intelligent. Great qualities in a doctor. Their physical medicine doctor is usually accompanied with one other person, but her orthopedic always comes in with a team. And when I say team, it's like him with 4 or 5 other people. Usually it's a physical therapist and a few students that are working under him. Med students always like to see my girls. After all, they are pretty awesome and might micro preemies. 

Elizabeth was first up to see the doctors. Both of her doctors were very happy that she is up on her feet and moving. Her balance is good and most importantly her hips looked good. Sometimes children with CP can have hip problems, but her hips have continued to look great. For that I am thankful. She will have a repeat hip X-ray in 6 months, which I expected. 

I told her orthopedic that I was concerned with her left knee because when she stands it appears to be hyperextended at times. He agreed with me and has prescribed a different type of orthotic for her. This will be her third. Her knew orthotic will be at a 5 degree angle forward to help her knee to not become hyperextended and go backwards. I'll be taking her this Wednesday to get fitted for that. And like always I'll post pics so you can see what it looks like once it comes in. 

When it comes to Elizabeth's hand, the doctors are more concerned. It is still very difficult for Liz to open up her left hand, which in return, prohibits her from really using it like she should. Her physical medicine doctor recommended another round of constraint therapy at Kennedy Krieger. He pretty much said to plan on going once a year, every year from now on. This means another month of extensive therapy. I am waiting to hear back from Kennedy Krieger for when she will be going. I wasn't surprised she was going to need it again. I was actually happy he recommend it. Whatever she needs, she will get!



Abigail was up next. She ran around and said hello to each doctor and nurse that she saw. She is really coming out of her shell. The doctor still believes she needs her little orthotics, but it is the goal to get her off of them in a couple of years. Her ankles are still weak and her right foot still likes to "V" out some. They were happy overall with how she is doing and she doesn't have to go back for a year! Yay! That's music to my ears. 

I am very happy with how the appointments went and equally happy that we have doctors at such an amazing place like KKI.
I'll be post again soon when I know when Liz will be starting her constraint therapy again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment