Sunday, September 14, 2014

4 appointments - 1 Day

When I say there was 4 appointments in one day, it was just that. Friday both girls had to have a check up with their Audiologist and they also had an appointment with their ENT doctor too.  If you're counting that's 2 appointments a piece, so that makes 4! 

My supportive husband Dan and his mom (the girl's Nana) made the trip to Johns Hopkins today with the girls. I would like to take a moment and thank them both for going. I know it makes for a long day.

The girls have a few important appointments coming up in the next two weeks so I sat this one out. I unfortunately don't have an endless supply of leave, although that would be nice though right? 

When they said it takes a village...they really weren't kidding!



Abigail and Elizabeth have both been following by an Audiologist at Hopkins ever since they failed
the baby hearing test in the NICU. When I said failed, I am being a little dramatic. They actually call it "being referred" but being referred also sounds kind of odd too. 
Let's just say they didn't pass their hearing test. :) This again can be a preemie thing. Like everything else in their body, their hearing was under developed as well.

They both had to have their hearing check today for 2 reasons: 
1. Check to see how they were hearing 
2. Check to make sure that the ear tubes that their ENT doc put in didn't impact their hearing

Their audiologist said that Elizabeth's hearing was good and it was constant with the findings and results from her ABR hearing test last February. The ABR test is a hearing test that they actually put you under for. It's pretty accurate and gives you an insight into what pitches you can hear and stuff like that. 

As I write this I just thought.. Man have we been through a lot. 2 years ago I had no idea what any of this stuff meant and now look at us. Okay, back to the appointment.

Abigail's hearing test results today were a little different from before. The test revealed some hearing loss in her left year, so now they are considering having Abigail do the ABR test as well. If she needs it, it will be her 4th time under anesthesia. The doctor will be contacting me soon with her recommendations.

After the audiologist appointment the girls went on to their ENT appointment, which luckily is on the same floor. Their ENT doctor was happy with how their new tubes are doing. Their doctor will like them to come back in 6 months. I love it when they say come back in 6!

In 2 weeks we have orthopedic appointment as well as NICU follow-up. As always, I'll keep everyone posted. 







   



No comments:

Post a Comment