Saturday, November 9, 2013

Kangaroo Care

This time last year I was looking forward to the time I could do kangaroo care with Abigail and Elizabeth. I would see other moms doing it and I couldn't wait. The kangaroo hold is a safe way for moms to hold their preemie babies. The baby is placed on the chest on direct skin. The baby only wears a diaper so they can feel your skin. It is a wonderful time for a mom to bond with her baby, but it is also beneficial for the baby. The skin-to-skin helps comfort the baby and can even help with stabilizing their heart rate and breathing patterns. Elizabeth was about 3 weeks old before I could hold her and Abigail was about 6. I can still remember the first time I got to do the kangaroo hold with them. I was nervous because they were so small, but it also felt amazing to hold them for the first time.  

I encourage any new preemie/NICU moms to take part in kangaroo care. If is a great way to help you feel connected to your baby and you are giving something special to your baby that only you can give.  At times it can feel like there isn't much you can do for them because the nurses do so much, but kangaroo care is something special you can do.

Holding Elizabeth for the first time


Holding Abigail for the first time 

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures are so hard to believe now. Now we see those happy, toothy smiles......what a difference a year makes!

    ReplyDelete