Monday, January 26, 2015

New Shoes and a Ridiculous Encounter

My mother and I took the girls to Montgomery county on Sunday to get them some new shoes. 

I know driving over an hour to get shoes seems silly, but their Orthopedic at Kennedy Krieger highly recommends a shoe store called Shoe Train. They are just like any other kids shoe store, but they are experts in fitting kids that have orthotics. 

You can check out their website at 
http://shoetrainpotomac.com

The employees there are great. We received excellent customer service and they are very knowledgable. Getting shoes to work with an orthotic can be tricky, but we got the girls some really cute and functional shoes. 


Our trip wasn't all great though I have to admit...

While Elizabeth and I were looking at the different shoes on the displays, I heard another customer start to talk about Elizabeth to her friend. 

The conversation went something like this:

Random Lady 1- "Oh, that poor girl. Look at her. That's so sad."

Random Lady 2- "Yes, that is sad. Look at her hand in that brace... That is so sad." 

Random Lady 1- "So, so sad."

Me- "There is nothing sad about her and do not say she is sad. Do not look at my daughter and say she's sad. You should really mind your own business."

I picked up Elizabeth and we walked to the other end of the store. I found my mom with Abigail and told her what happened.  This was the first time a  stranger has said something about Elizabeth. Yes she may have CP, but I am not ever going to let her think of herself as "sad" and I am certainly not going to let some ignorant lady call her sad. 

We were shortly called next and the girls got fitted for their shoes. 

This whole situation got me thinking about how ridiculous some people are.     I have to be honest, it tugged at my heart some. It makes me sick to think about how cruel people can be. Elizabeth is perfect and I will stick up for her and fight for her until the end of days. 
This pic was right after we got home from the trip to the store. The girls are enjoying cookies at grandma's house. They are wearing their new shoes. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Look at those snazzy new shoes......cookies, yum. Hope Mommy & Grandma shared some cookies too. Yes, Mel, people are so unaware. Sorry you had to hear it first hand. People usually react from ignorance...obviously this woman didn't know Elizabeth's story. So glad you have this blog to 'vent'. Stay strong.....you're doing a super job. K

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this...my son is being fitted for orthotics this week and i don't think his current shoes will work with them...i'll check out that store!

    ReplyDelete