Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Due Date Anniversary- 3 years later

3 years ago on the 27th was my actual due date. When I look at Abigail and Elizabeth, it is so hard to believe that 3 years ago they were still in the hospital. Sometimes I think to myself - how in the world did you go to the NICU every day for 125 days?  

Abigail and Elizabeth are doing a lot of the same things a typical 3 year old toddler can do, and because of that I feel totally blessed.

When I look back at the last 3 years I can hardly believe what we have overcome:

-feeding tube and feeding issues 
-oxygen 
-4 hernia surgeries
-ear tubes twice
-adenoid removal surgery 
-a CP diagnosis
-an Ehlers-Danlos diagnosis
-frequent ER visits
-RSV and a week in the hospital
-a week in the hospital with a feeding tube malfunction 
-lazy eye
-5 Sleep studies 
-Torticolis
-MRI
-allergy testing  
-orthotic fittings
-ABR and other Hearing tests 
-hip X-rays 
-and tons and tons of OT and PT
-EEGs
-3 endoscopes
-stigmoidoscopy
-rectal biopsy
-2 rounds of constraint therapy
-Botox

hmmm... I feel like I am still missing something!  We have been through a bunch... But we fight on!


Here is a cute picture that Abigail's primary nurse from the NICU sent me 3 years ago on my due date. They have always been so beautiful!  

1 comment:

  1. I guess the lesson to be had from your last 2 years is....a day at a time, a situation at a time is possible to tackle, especially with support and prayers from family & friends. It's good to look back to see how strong & resilient we can be when we plow through, under or around...with God's love always there for us - shown by the said family & friends. Hard to learn, even harder to accept sometimes. Melanie, thanks for the last 2 years of sharing your soul. I just know it's helped those in your position with preemies, but I wonder if you realize how much you help those of us who can learn from your thoughts & actions to tackle very different challenges in our lives. Again, thanks for sharing. God is working through you...don't stop sharing. We care, we benefit. It's a blessing to learn from you & your family.

    ReplyDelete