Tuesday, January 7, 2014

NICU Follow-Up Round 3

I took the girls to their NICU Follow-Up appointment yesterday at Kennedy Krieger. It always makes for a very long day. We left the house at 8 AM and didn't get home until 3 PM. 

The team looked the girls over and I wasn't at all surprised that they both continue to have a developmeyal delay due to their physical abilities. The girls are not really up on their feet yet and they still struggle with going from the floor to sitting by themselves. Despite therapy 5 days a week the girls still are a little behind. They are however very happy with how well they are doing otherwise. Their nonverbal skills are right where they should be and Abigail wowed them with her verbal skills. They would like Elizabeth to say a few more words, so we will continue to work on it.

They are a little concerned with Elizabeth's right foot (not her CP side). They requested that I move up her orthopedic appointment and suggested we speak to her doctor about getting an orthotic for her right foot as well. I went ahead and moved her appointment up from April to February. They also suggested that I take Elizabeth to a Physical Medicine doctor at Kennedy Keiger. The Physical Medicine team is a part of the rehab team. Some people with CP benefit from Botox so I would discuss that with them. We will go to that appointment in March, but we are on the cancelation list so it is possible we can get moved up. 

On the way home my mom asked me how I felt about the appointment and the truth is nothing surprises me anymore. I take it with stride and one day at a time. I knew from the beginning that they were born severely premature and the possibility of them having a developmental delay or other issues was high. I love my girls and we will just keep trucking along. I an confident that the girls will continue to make progress and with time they will catch up to where they should be. We will return to NICU Follow-Up in 3 months. 


Here are a few new pics of the girls. 

1 comment:

  1. I can only imagine how stressful all this news always changing can be. Maybe sharing your thoughts & concerns not only is informative for those of us who love your family, but is helpful to others who are struggling w/similar issues & don't know how to share.....and it works like therapy for you too Mel. You have such a strong support group w/your family. It's just great you feel comfortable talking about the ups & downs. I must say, Melanie....every single picture of those precious girls is another prayer of thanks. The pics of the family interacting is more prayers. Thanks for sharing...your family is never far from our thoughts & prayers. Stay warm. K

    ReplyDelete